Sunday, May 6, 2012

National Conferences

In the summer of 2011, my dearest friend, Susan, convinced me that I absolutely, positively, no questions asked, HAD to attend the 2011 FGS Conference with her in Springfield, Illinois. Ohhhh, am I so glad I went with her!  She introduced me to so many new people in the world of genealogy.  One evening, we had dinner with two very well-known speakers on the genealogy conference circuit.  I was the outsider going in to dinner, and came out a contemporary!  How awesome was that!  It was definitely one of the defining moments on my genealogy yellow-brick-road.

This year, my dearest friend, Susan, has convinced me that I absolutely, positively, no questions asked, HAD to attend the 2012 NGS Conference with her in Cincinnati, OH. On Tuesday morning, I will leave to go pick up my friend, Susan, and then head to Cincinnati.  I am so looking forward to this event.

The Ohio Genealogical Society, and the Hamilton County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society are co-hosting the NGS Conference this year. As I am now on the executive committee of OGS, I feel honor bound to participate in this conference.  I quickly and graciously volunteered to be a room monitor for several sessions.  As a member of the Genealogical Speakers Guild, I will also introduce several of the speakers. I know that it takes an army of volunteers to make a conference work. I will do my part as well.

I am looking forward to renewing friendships made in Springfield last fall.  Conferences are a way to meet our friends in person that we follow on other social media arenas.  I am also looking forward to meeting new "friends".

The world of genealogy has me following my own yellow-brick-road and it seems to take several twists and turns on me. I am loving every minute of it.  I would have never dreamed I would be "where" I am and doing "what" I am at this point in my life.  It is totally awesome.

The OGS booth will be a beehive of activity.  Stop by our booth (#201, 300) to see what OGS has to offer, along with some great giveaways and prizes. Be among the first 400 attendees to visit our booth and win a nifty OGS coin purse, perfect for those trips to the library. Take a guess at how many candy buckeyes are in a jar and possibly win either a $100 Amazon.com gift card, a $50 iTunes gift card, or the candy-filled jar. And if those prizes aren’t tempting enough to make a guess, how about this: Guess the exact amount of buckeyes in the candy jar and you get to take home ALL the prizes! Need a new ride? Well, we have that covered too. Purchase a book of five car raffle tickets for $25 and be entered into a drawing for an OGS life membership. Forget your flash drive at home? No worries. Just donate $10 or more to our Isaly Matching Fund Campaign and receive an ultra slim, ultra cool 4 GB flash drive.
 
Enjoy your conference experience, as I will mine. 

And don’t forget, when you are in need of finding your Ohio ancestors, OGS is here to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment