Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Marriages

Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.
March 4 — Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.

Which one do I choose? Maybe more than one.

Edward A. Werner and Viola B. Pfieffer, my mother's parents, were married on 12 March 1918 at the parsonage of the Congregational Church in Medina, Ohio along with Viola's sister, Irene B. Pfeiffer and Clarence Wise. Viola was 24 years old and Ed was 22 years old. According to my grandmother's notes, the day was very spring like and robins were in great abundance that day. After the ceremony the two couples returned to the home of the brides' parents where a big dinner was held for the newlyweds. While I do not have a wedding picture, I do have a picture of the 40th anniversary celebration of these two couples held in 1958 at my parents' home in Elyria, OH. My grandfather died in 1963 and my grandmother died in 1991.

Clarence Wise ~ Ed Werner
Irene Pfeiffer Wise ~ Viola Pfeiffer Werner

* * * * *

Vernon Lance and Flossie Wallington, my father's parents, were married in Spencer, Ohio on Christmas Eve in1907. Flossie was 19 years old and Vernon was 21. I have not heard many stories of their wedding. Flossie's mother had died in 1904, and her father died in 1908. Vernon and Flossie were married for 65 years before Vernon died in 1973. Flossie died in 1975.

Flossie Wallington and Vernon Lance

* * * * *

 

No comments:

Post a Comment